Miss Macaroon’s Annual General Meeting
Earlier this month Miss Macaroon hosted its annual general meeting, open to both the organisation’s board and a group of its employees. The meeting covered both the challenges and highlights of the past twelve months. Here’s a few of the highlights:
Celebrating Miss Macaroon
Miss Macaroon’s mission is to bake a brighter future. Throughout 2020-21, as we continued to improve the lives of the wider community, we had a few setbacks:
- Repeated shop closures due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- A break-in at Miss Macaroon’s headquarters.
- Loss in market share due to offices being closed and events cancelled.
Still, we had a lot of highlights too:
- The company reached a milestone and celebrated its 10th birthday in February – a celebration marked by ongoing product collaborations and publicity from media outlets such as the BBC.
- We debuted new training programmes, including our Aspire Scheme. The programme is designed to provide further support and work experience to our MacsMAD (Macaroons that Make a Difference) graduates aged 25-35 years old.
- In recognition of Miss Macaroon’s contributions to the wider community, the social enterprise was awarded a £150,000 grant by John Lewis Partnership’s Community Investment Fund. The grant will fund placements on our Aspire Scheme as the year progresses.
- We increased our online presence, which caused a surge in sales, and increased the amount of trainees on our MacsMAD training programme.
The AGM was also an opportunity for some of Miss Macaroon’s MacsMAD beneficiaries to talk about their experiences with the programme. Denise, one of our MacsMAD graduates, shared her experiences in forming the MacsMAD Leaders programme – aimed at offering further support to MacsMAD graduates. Bradley – a current MacsMAD trainee – also talked about the scheme’s impact on his life and thanked the board for their support. Jacqueline – a graduate who has since moved onto Miss Macaroon’s Kickstart Scheme – shared her positive experience of the programme.
Miss Macaroon’s future
Over the next twelve months, Miss Macaroon intends to move forward, increasing the number of trainees under our MacsMAD training programme and increasing our brand awareness – all in the spirit of baking a brighter future!